Re: Help! Yinkin and Telmor do the spike.

From: bjm10_at_...
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:29:34 -0000

> Luckily as it might be obvious the PC's have no idea what's
> going on, and none of which myth they are now doing, So what
> I would like please is a few suggestions for things to throw
> at them while they try and get out of this.

Solution 1: The classical D&D route would be to just throw nasty things at them in an ever-absurdly-increasing spiral until they all get killed. Nobody enjoys Solution 1.

Solution 2: Beg for mercy. Sometimes this works with some players, but I'd leave it as a last resort when nothing else could work.

Solution 3: Channel Glorantha and see what she would do. Okay, it sounds more absurd than it actually is. I'm referring to a metaphorical "channeling", but you already do this as a gamemaster to at least some extent (or your players get bored with being railroaded and quit). So how to do this?

3a: Write the other myth--the one that involves Telmor not being told off. Theoretically, every possible myth already "exists", and all that happens is that they are "rediscovered". But here's the trick to that: Myths are ruts. Ruts are good--"good" meaning "useful". Ruts are what allow carts to run smoothly and along known tracks. Switching myths "sideways" means you have to yank your "cart" out of one set of ruts and into another. You risk breaking a wheel or finding out too late that these ruts lead to a Bad Place, Indeed (TM). Gloranthan mythoquesting is very faerielandish. Stay on the Path and be safe. Wander off the path and the likes of Baba Yaga can come and get you--or even worse, Weeping Gorilla!

The ruts of myth are nice and tall--established myths "hide" their questers in a sense from the bigger "predators" of the mythoquesting world.

So, if your PCs manage to survive the transition to the new set of ruts, you can have a lot of fun. The transition should be remarkably disorderly, even Chaotic to some extent. "Rut" status can be attaining some sort of safe haven. But then they're in strange territory. The tricky part once you get to this place is allowing them to "rediscover" this old myth without railroading them into it. In part, that will depend on how well your players' ideas of their characters' mythic background meshes with yours.

If they survive, they will have come back having rediscovered an old myth, and their clan may be different from that point on. Old friends could be new enemies, and vice-versa.