Electronic episodes

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:52:10 -0400

Searching PDF files:

on my system the text search facility within Acrobat is much less flexible, and orders of magnitude slower, than that within Word. This is with files of several hundred KB (Word files as plain text).

> However, format and artwork. And, sadly, _size_. As a part of my job,
> I had to convert a set of tech manuals from Word (gah) to PDF format.
> The drop in size was pretty dramatic from 3.4 m to 114 k.

Word doc files are often -horribly- bloated as compared to plain text or rtf equivalents.

Websites readable by the disabled: in the UK a new stage of the The Disability Discrimination Act has just become law. Certain websites are now legally required to be accessible to the blind, and I'm told that the Royal National Institute for the Blind is actively suing those who don't meet these requirements. I don't know where the line is drawn: it may just be (central and local) government, or it may apply to commercial sites as well.

Andrew