Episodes - Paper vs. Plastic

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:09:07 -0400

This is a topic I enjoy as well, just like Tim, although I don't hate Microsft products nearly as much as he does. : - )

For the record, Microsoft word is fairly good at switching your page setup between European A4 and US Letter unless you have section breaks in your document. It does require that you watch pagination, but this isn't very difficult unless the page count is very high or you have very complicated formatting.
Instead of doing that, it is usually far easier just to go into your printer settings and use "scale to paper size". This is like what Adobe Acrobat does when printing out PDFs. The only real difference is that Acrobat does it for you while you have to do it manually in most other applications.

As per usual, most people would be happy to get good quality things for free, preferably in beautifully laid out hard copy or in an easily adjustable electronic format that doesn't take too long to download. Unfortunately, it is rare to get printed material for free, and it is a rare combination of qualities to get a small download of a high quality electronic file that is also free. There is an unwritten law in econoimcs that says that the more time put into a project the more likely you are to want money for it. This is as true for hero wars scenarios as it is for everything else.

Even if you have an "unchangable" format like a PDF for download, once it has been downloaded it would be difficult to not let them pass it on for free. Yes, there are encryption programs that can help limit this, but I doubt that a Hero Wars author would use them. Case in point, look how difficult it is for large software companies to stop software piracy.

Considering that there are a number of Gloranthan fanzines already out there that are eagerly seeking submissions, finding an avenue to get it printed in a not-too-pricey publication shouldn't prove too difficult. If you want to publish it on the web, have it put on the Issaries site if you want the prestige and "official" type of approval, or have any of a number of gloranthans put it on their pesonal site. Call me skeptical, but I don't see much of a paying market for electronic Gloranthan scenario downloads. The only way to potentially get any money out of it is to self publish a paper version, which is not as easy as it sounds.

That's my 20 cents...
Rick