Re: Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:30:36 -0500 (CDT)

Gareth Martin says:

> I would assume that if such a person took up fuur-trapping full time
> for sale purposes, they would in effect be coming down from the
> mountain. They are soon goign to run into the ususal problems -
> stock storage, keeping your earned weqlth safe, etc, all of which
> will tend to bind them back into "orthodox" Heortling society.

The Odaylan doesn't necessarily have to do all this -- that's what the bloodline is for. So you have crazy uncle Ulrik coming in from the forest with his pelts and half-feral hunting cats (which cause their own brand of mayhem). Your dad deals with the selling of the pelts, and in return gets Ulrik the supplies he needs. Of course Ulrik gets some funny ideas in his head out in the wilds and sometimes makes unreasonable demands on the stead -- he has only a vague idea of the relative value of the pelts, not what they can be traded for -- and a certain amount a glaring and cursing goes on. On the other hand, he often brings charms for the children, and sometimes he asks for considerably less than he is entitled to, so it all come out in the wash, as Ernalda would say.

Peter Larsen