Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:40:29 -0700

> >They may not

> > prefer their stead-dwelling kinfolk, but those farmers are THEIR larger
> > community. Whether they like it or not (similar conflicted opinions
> > probably exist for most followers of "odd" gods like Humakt or
whatever).

I think the Odaylans provide an outlet for antisocial Orlanthi who aren't *quite* up to Gagarth or Valind status. They are the the farthest out on the "respectable" axis before you get to Valindings, who are kin but not ones you want to be around. Even in the cultures with the closest family structures there are the loners who are still loved and respected/admired who just don't want to be around people 24-7. Some are happy to "get away" each day but coming home in the evening, essentially making hunting a "regular job" (Ormalalaylans), while others are happy to see the folks once a season (or less).

Personally, I think all Orlanthi men are happy enough to go hunting (in the proper season) as a "male bonding exercise", "making men out of the boys", or just to get away from the wife & kids for a weekend (taking along plenty of beer...).

RR