Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:17:51 -0000

I would wonder quite a bit about this.

Having said all that, I imagine that many Orlanthi do get some game, but it makes much more sense to me that this is more along the lines of snaring rabbits and trying to bring down grouse in the nearby woods when you have a quiet couple of hours than in serious hunting trips. Oh, and in season probably stealing wild eggs from the nest is popular.

Although I'd agree about getting away from the wife and kids part, but I'd imagine it being for a couple of hours after you've milked the cows rather than in heading off to the bush on a serious expadition.

This all seems fairly logical to me, but when I think about it, this is also roughly how my great-grandfather and grandfather did it homesteading and later running a dairy farm (with pigs and a few horses along with the cows, but no sheep) in northern Ontario (with three useful fields spread amongst a lot of bush).

--Bryan