Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:24:07 -0700

> Hmm, well, without going too far off topic, its possible that some of
> the later Amerindian concern to originate from a dim inherited memory
> of the megafauna period, and Lessons Learned, so to speak.

Could be. (And I like Benedict's argument that Glorantha should have "ecological savages" because of our myth.)

> Certainly, they experienced the wholesale exploitation approach taken
> by advancing Europeans as "unnatural":

Certainly the Europeans were the ones destroying habitat, which coincidentally the native Americans needed to maintain their way of life.

Having posted a couple times now, I'm not sure how I'm relating to playing Hero Wars in Glorantha. Probably my point is just that there's no requirement for an Odaylan to behave in an ecological way, and you should do whatever's the most fun in your campaign. If your Odaylan is simply a trophy hunter, taking far more than he actually needs, it wouldn't suspend my disbelief. If he carefully maintains a shrine to the Mother of Mammals, so that he doesn't harm the wild herds, that's reasonable too.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>