RE: Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:03:36 -0400

gamartin_at_... said :

> For example, the practice of thanking the animal you have killed for
> the sacrifice it made to keep you alive establishes a very personal
> relationship between the hunter and the hunted. This is TOTALLY
> different to the mindset that sees an animal as food on the hoof, a
> walking resource to be exploited in the most efficient manner
> available. Even if the practice is the same - every part is used -
> the motive is different, and in fact NOT using everything you took
> might be "sinful" to the Respectful Hunter. Thus, the Respectful
> Hunter kills according to need (regardless of whether their society
> is over-exploiting as a body).

This would seem to preclude harvesting most fur bearers as I think you'd have to be pretty desparate to eat any members of the weasel family or predators in general. This must be moderated somehow. I gues they could feed dead mink or whatever to their alynxes but would you feed them something you wouldn't eat yourself? I wonder whether the general animosity felt towards dogs extends to their kin the wolves.

>From what we know about Balazar the Votanki tend to kill predators on sight which certainly isn't very ecologically minded and their even more hunting dependant than the Heorttings so there's obviously room for flexibility in your approach to nature as long as you don't over do it.

Oliver