RE: Elephants in Prax

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:14:26 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Nick Brooke wrote:

> Roderick wrote:
>
> > be sure to use the more HW-correct Alticamelus instead of High Llama,
> > then (llamas being South American).
>
> Anaxial's Rooster p.68 heads this species up "High Llama (Alticamelus,
> Sanna)," captions the pic and stats "High Llama", and calls them "high
> llamas" throughout the text. I'd have assumed this means the correct name in
> Hero Wars is "High Llama".

Anyway, it's no RL beast. Something between a giraffe and a llama =D

> >> The lion people. Hsunchen, aren't they?
>
> There was a fan article written with Greg Stafford's help describing Basmoli
> characters for RuneQuest in "Tales of the Reaching Moon" issue 14, the first
> Prax Special.

Yes, I have that one. Excellent material.

<snip>

> > They eat their enemies to gain magical powers. I don't remember any
> > official writeups on them.
>
> A RuneQuest cult writeup by Greg and Sandy was in Tales #8 ("The Hungry
> Ghosts"), but that issue is still unavailable (pending the "Best of Tales"
> collection, on which work is being done). "Nomad Gods" says:

Damn, I've missed that.

> "This fanatical clan were man-eaters, and knew obscene rituals to draw
> strength from a man's soul as they ate his body. This gave them great
> powers, and struck fear into all who opposed them."

Sounds nasty. And a ticket to getting killed by Storm Bullers that are too drunk to trust their chaos sense, and decide that you are an ogre.

> You can get copies of Nomad Gods (French edition box & English rules, or
> just the rules if you insist) from Wizard's Attic
> (www.wizards-attic.com/WAGlorantha.html)

Going to.

> >> I've always figured the ostritch rider pygmies a fairly succesful
> >> (minor) tribe.
>
> > Well, they aren't an official part of Praxian Glorantha (though I haven't
> > seen stuff that the PraxPak group is doing, so who knows...).
>
> In "Nomad Gods" 2nd edition the Ostrich Clan appears as one of the Ten
> Independent Tribes, with Ostrich Mother as an independent spirit. They
> therefore look official to me. Mike Dawson's ancient article from "Heroes"
> magazine is the best source, but good luck finding it!
>
> Cheers, Nick

Right :)

But thanks again Nick.

        -Adept