RE: Elephants in Prax

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:10:20 +0100

Roderick wrote:

> be sure to use the more HW-correct Alticamelus instead of High Llama,
> then (llamas being South American).

Anaxial's Rooster p.68 heads this species up "High Llama (Alticamelus, Sanna)," captions the pic and stats "High Llama", and calls them "high llamas" throughout the text. I'd have assumed this means the correct name in Hero Wars is "High Llama".

>>> Basmoli Berserkers (not mounted)

>> The lion people. Hsunchen, aren't they?

There was a fan article written with Greg Stafford's help describing Basmoli characters for RuneQuest in "Tales of the Reaching Moon" issue 14, the first Prax Special. I mention this because David Hall says he's obtained stocks of some of the sold-out issues of Tales, so this will shortly be available. More details on contacts and ordering at www.etyries.com/products/megacorp.htm

>>> Cannibal Cult

> They eat their enemies to gain magical powers. I don't remember any
official
> writeups on them.

A RuneQuest cult writeup by Greg and Sandy was in Tales #8 ("The Hungry Ghosts"), but that issue is still unavailable (pending the "Best of Tales" collection, on which work is being done). "Nomad Gods" says:

"This fanatical clan were man-eaters, and knew obscene rituals to draw strength from a man's soul as they ate his body. This gave them great powers, and struck fear into all who opposed them."

You can get copies of Nomad Gods (French edition box & English rules, or just the rules if you insist) from Wizard's Attic (www.wizards-attic.com/WAGlorantha.html)

>> I've always figured the ostritch rider pygmies a fairly succesful >> (minor) tribe.

> Well, they aren't an official part of Praxian Glorantha (though I haven't
> seen stuff that the PraxPak group is doing, so who knows...).

In "Nomad Gods" 2nd edition the Ostrich Clan appears as one of the Ten Independent Tribes, with Ostrich Mother as an independent spirit. They therefore look official to me. Mike Dawson's ancient article from "Heroes" magazine is the best source, but good luck finding it!

Cheers, Nick