Re: Heortling games

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:51:07 -0000

>IMG cubical dice are a Lunar innovation, and are like Chinese dice
>with the one spot enlarged and coloured Red (there's a practical
>reason for enlarging the one-spot, it balances the six opposite
>it). The Orlanthi use knucklebones, and other cultures probably
>throw shells or sticks.

Maybe the Orlanthi use a Spinner, shaped like a wind rune?

I went to an ancient Egypt exhibition at the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery yesterday, they had a couple of Egyptian board games there, which apparantly used flat sticks, with a "carved" and "plain" face - you "threw" a handful of these and counted the number of "carved" faces uppermost to generate your score. This technique (where the sticks may be wood, bone or even flat stones) is presumably open to all Gloranthan cultures... (Doesn't MOB's MGF system do something similar with Beer Bottle tops?)