Heortling boardgames

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:19:07 -0400

Roland Volz mentions ancient precursors to Snakes and Ladders. As he says, games with elaborate boards were perfectly possible in the richer ancient cultures. I've read a description of a much more complex relative of Snakes and Ladders, intended by Buddhists to show the journey of the soul through multiple incarnations as well as a variety of hells.

Maybe there are similar games intended as guides to parts of the Hero Plane? Might be an interesting thing for players to find - would they realise what they'd got?

Chess goes back to around the fifth century BC in India, though there have been several major changes in the rules over time. For much of its history players would throw a d6 each turn, which would dictate which type of piece they would move. The earliest version I've read about had four players, each starting on one side of the board with a king, horseman, ship, chariot and four pawns. Opposite players were allies, but if you could get your king onto the start square of your partner's king you could take over all his pieces.

Go is older still and has had few if any rule changes.

Playin' Games in London sells a range of ancient and medieval games from all over the world in formats suitable for collectors - some of these will be showing up in my Hero Wars game.

On a slight side-track, Sheri Tepper's 'Marianne' trilogy can be seen as a series of heroquests, one of which has the characters moving in a world where all the inhabitants move as pieces on a gigantic board.