Re: Heortling boardgames

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:47:17 -0000

Now that the ardor has died down, let me point out that I did not originate the idea that pieces in Heortling boardgames might be identified with this or that god; I merely defended it because I think it's MGF and because I dislike "One True Glorantha" models, and it's easier to say "This is possible, but has the following regional exceptions..." than "This is impossible."

Simon Hibbs:
> That's not what heroquesters do. They follow in the path of their
> god, emulating their god's actions and virtues in order to gain
> similar benefits.

And those who "find a new way"? Are they instantly snuffed out? Or do they sometimes Make Good Things Happen? (E.g. Harmast did the LBQ with a different test because no one had survived the Baths of Nelat in some time.)

> They also do so in a properly conducted religious ceremony which
> includes magical safeguards and protections. Also, doing this is
> extremely dangerous, even with all the preperations and safeguards
> that the rituals involve.

Gambling and gaming are (even in the RW) associated with religious, occult and magical ceremonies and meanings; most gamers have "dice superstitions", frex. My personal belief is that every gambling house in Glorantha has an effigy or icon of a gambling- or luck-related god/daimon/spirit/saint/effigy/etc. And gamblers, undoubtedy considered "unsavory folk" by the hill farmers, are almost certainly among the most superstitious folk...

My personal opinion is that somewhere you'd find an (urban) Orlanth Adventurous subcult (Sambar the Lucky?) which is shared with Donandar (Sambar the Gambler??), and has a fair number of adherents. (Combat feats: Massive Bar Brawl; Movement: Leap Onto Horseback from Window?)

Roland Volz