RE: Abusing the system in HW

From: Matthew & Tracey Cole <matthew_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:02:11 +0100

ya see, the thing about old Supes is that he's a telly character (ignore the comics for a moment) and as such is bound to the same mythos as people like 7of9 and Xena.

I don't believe that I've seen Xena fail to wield her sword like a master or 7of9 fail to see the logic of a situation. Also, there's the whole thing of skills previously relied upon and believed to be infallible suddenly not working. (please don't correct me on points of Star Trek or Xena history!)

The other thing about Superman is that he's an established Hero and a starting skill of 17, 13, 1W or 5W would be quite ridiculous to force on one of those. Perhaps he's a bad example but there have been skill figures quoted for proper Heroes (note the capital), demi-gods and gods. These Heroes (and greater) I mention are always Narrator characters are they not?

So would be Superman.

Every system is open for abuse, especially when the Ref is too weak to say NO! to munchkins. The friend 'worrying' about HW abuse shouldn't give in to temptation - you'll enjoy gaming more with limitations, flaws and the occasional injury.

Okay, please lead me to my next wall.

Morkhelek the Brave

p.s. maybe some of those stats quoted for the Man of Steel could be those of Superboy, the starting character?

"The boy of steel bounced harmlessly off the meteorite he was deflecting away from the path of NASA's very first satellite as it made it's maiden circuit around the earth. He floated, stunned, in parallel orbit, confusing the gathered scientists at Jodrel Bank until, like a glitch on their instruments he was gone."

Context:

>One of my friends was woried that the HW system was to open for
>abuse. He felt that it was "to easy to make a superman" and abuse the
>game. I countered this by showing that it was not only possible to
>make Superman, but that he was a perfectly workable charecter and
>controllable in the HW system.

OK, but it really needs some explanation on how the character would be run. Is the "faster than a speeding bullet" ability run as a generic movement ability ? (which means that it's misnamed until he gets a lot more Hero points to improve it). Or is he able to run faster than a speeding ability *if* he overcomes a resistance ? (which means that it doesn't work a lot of the time). Or something else ?

It seems to me that the reason it isn't abusive is because it isn't Superman - just someone with weak versions of the same abilities.
>snip<

Paul K.