Griselda: Great Woman or Postmodernist Social Construct?

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:59:41 -0000

Fair enough, but this is still the, well, heroic school of thought - Griselda grabs fate with both hands, makes herself into a hero(ine) and then her tales somehow become myths. I'm wondering - without really taking a position one way or t'other yet - whether stories can remain just stories in Glorantha. If everyone in Pavis, trolls in the Rubble, Lunar soldiers back in Tarsh, etc is recounting your tales, embroidering them, and - given that this is Glorantha, world of Heroes, probably elevating her into that rank, does this have a magic 'charge' of its own? Can you become a Hero just because enough people believe strongly enough that you *are* one?

(Of course, I know that this is making things too cut and dried as all that - if Griselda did go heroquesting, then no doubt some of this 'audience-come-congregation' would provide her with a level of community support, just as I doubt you suddenly hit a critical mass of 'audience' and suddenly wake up a Hero.)

Mark