Re: Triads

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:13:26 -0000

Really impressed with John's material on Kennings and Triads to help us flavour Heortling culture with an appropriate poetic tradition.

One idea on triads though. For the Celts 3 was a number with magical significance (in fact my mother still says 'Trouble comes in threes' and when two bad events happen, anxiously awaits the third). However, apart from the Unholy Trio, we don't really have such a significance with 3 in Orlanthi culture. 7 is the more significant number for Heortlings (lightbringers, virtues, seats on the ring, years of a king's rule). This suggests eptiads (? sorry my Ancient Greek is more rusty thatn my Anglo Saxon, not sure if that's right) are more appropriate. Though they are more work to write, and have less of a haiku feel than the triads, so YMMV.

Ian