Re: Maps to the www.glorantha.com site

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:36:49 -0000

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> It would be really great to have a clear picture of how places like
> Boldhome or Aldachur (Duckpoint?) look like. A description, and
> hopefully some nice pictures and maps.

Boldhome was covered in one of the Tales cre's freefrom supplements (Home of The Bold) from the description in KoS. There is a map there. Jonstown is mapped in a Tradetalk supplement (Heroes of Wisdom) (and there is a key in German). Greg reviewed the map of Clearwine I posted to the web site, whcih I think counts as ' not official, but oficially not nonsense'. I heard rumours that Mark Galeotti has done a map of AldaChur for UW3.

> I'd love to know what kind of walls Sartar raised for the cities.
What sort of buildings one finds in them<

Don't forget that New Pavis is a Heortling town, and gives an idea of organisation/layout, though the building style is local (i.e. mud bricks) and the Yelmalio quarter is probably to big for 'most' Heorlting cities. It also has far too many inns for a 'normal' town <g> and some 'fantasy game' specials with such adventurer's outfitters as 'used armor shops', but ignoring the unique, Rubble and MGF aspects of Pavis, its a good start.

I tend to use Viking cities for inspiration on buidling material & layout, such as Jorvik or Birka. 'Life in a Viking Town' and 'How Would I Survive as A viking' are good picute book sources for narrators and players here, but there is plenty of info on the web too. Roughly houses are wattle & daub/plank longhouses, but shorter that those found in steads but usually with a cellar and frequently a second story 'attic' space. Most houses have a garden where they loclas keep pigs, chickens and grow crops. Shops are also houses and the inhabitants tend to work outside becuase the light is better. Building in stone is RARE and a sign of wealth. Few bulding survive more than 30 years before the posts rot. Fire is constant hazard. The smell is BAD. Temples to Orlanth should be on a hill (or rise).

I did a descritpion of Clearwine, as I see it, for a scenario I submitted to Issaries, that accompanies the map I posted ot the web site. Mail me off list if you want to see the description of Clearwine from that scenario.

> Is this one of those things where I end up doing the pictures since
I asked the question? I'm villing to try, if I can get the information needed.<

Its not a bad project if you want to look at one of the more undocumented towns. In addition to Clearwine I'm thinking of doing some maps for Wintertop and Irist Hold at some point (they appear in our house campaign) and would be happy to help you from my experiences. I would tend to map, only when somewhere becomes significant in your game, nd then start small, pick a Hill Fort for example, find out what you can about it, make up the rest, let other people review yor ideas etc, and then send it in as a fan map. Then tackle the bigger projects like a town using what you have learned.

Again your probably best pursuing this off list, or even on John Hughes's Glorantha 3D list.

Ian Cooper