Re: Questions: Humakti Honor

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:04:04 +0100

> From: reinierd_at_...
>I'm trying to understand and perhaps define the concept of honor
>for "all" (85%?) Humakti, in the same spirit as the rules of law and
>justice for Orlanthi on p. 36-44 of Thunder Rebels.
>
>The honor affinity is an important part of Humakt's identity, and
>sets him apart from other violence-mongers like Urox, Orlanth,
>Gagarth, Vadrus, or Urain. But at the same time he can't be too well
>behaved or else no one would fear him. After all, even golden boy
>Elmali are quite expert at inflicting death, and most Orlanthi
>warriors would be considered suicidally brave by today's standards.
>Humakti may be more determined, more skilled, and absolutely
>fearless, but that does not seem scary enough to make "children run
>screaming, women lock doors, and ordinary farmers look away." Or am I
>underestimating the impact of their death affinity? Is it the fact
>that Humakti can't be farmers or cattle-tenders that unnerves their
>clanmates?

Peter has already answered most of these and I can't find anything to disagree with.

Some reflections ... I've always felt that Honour was more central to Orlanthi (in particular Heortling) Humakti. Elsewhere "honour" may not be so prominent, or might be interpreted more in terms of justice (executions and so forth).

Furthermore, "honour" has to be interpreted in terms of the culture the Hamkti comes from or lives among. For individual Humakti adherence can be by the spirit or letter of the "rules" system drawn on or be interpreted in a specific or general manner (a specific interpretation might only include clear divisions of law or geas).

In some cases local precedent might be that an ambush was honourable (or not dishonourable) against chaos creatures, but not against others. (The geas would prohibit both, in my opinion).

When groups of Humakti dispute such rulings they have an agreed decision criterion (a duel is fought). I suspect that such a decision lasts until overturned by the next duel.

Humakti, in general, consider it virtuous to act honourably and will often go beyond strict rules or customs in determining behaviour. I can imagine a Humakti travelling in a foreign land abiding by local customs of "honourable" behaviour in order to get their point across. (For example, a Heortling doesn't consider it dishonourable to strike a downed foe - especially if you are the one that knocked him down. A Loskalmi knight might.)

On how Humakti are looked upon ... I don't think they promote fear in the same way that Uroxi do. Uroxi are scary because of what they do (cause mayhem), while Humakti are scary because of what they are (similar to devotees of Ty Kora Tek in some ways). Most people get the shivers from being in a room with one just as they would in a room with a corpse. Individual Humakti might well be scary for additional reasons (e.g., one of the PCs in a game I narrate has a mastery in "Cold-blooded" and is known to enjoy killing people).

Thom