Re: Questions: Humakti Honor

From: simonh_at_...
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:17:45 -0000

> Killing people in the wrong way (Poison etc) is forbidden.
> Killing people in the right way is praisworthy. On all other
> matters, Humakt is silent.

I had some trouble with the reasons why humakti disaprove of poisons and disease.

I think the reason poison is forbiden is that when a Humakti kills, it is them personaly that should do the killing. Using poison or spreading disease is invoking death by proxy. A Humakti should embody death personaly and invoke it only through honest, direct action either physical or magical.

BTW I'm rather surprised that some poeple consider killing by magic, or usig magic in a duel as being dishonourable. Surely manifesting the blessings of one's god in a holy ritual, which is what combat is to a Humakti, cannot be dishonourable?

On fighting to first blood, I think most Humakti would accept that this is honourable. I would not be surprised if there were some Humakti who prefered fights to the death, or at least believe that fights to the death are a special sacrement.

I think the Humakti religion is complex enough that very different interpretations may still be reasonable. For example I can imagine a grisly old Humakti refusing to be baited into trivial duels, enduring insults against his honour that would be intolerable to other heortlings because his honour before his god is all that matters to him.

Simon Hibbs