Re: Questions: Humakti Honor

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:07:18 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> I'm not so happy about this emphasis. Urox and Zorak Zoranni are
scary, but not for supernatural reasons;

True both these groups are antisocial and that makes them 'feared', but some of the aspect of that fear (and some of the reason for the behaviour) comes because they are willing to fight the Predark.

Orlanth and Ernalda say 'behave like everyone else'. Difference is threatening, those who do not worship Orlanth and Ernalda are threatening, to a large extend because they are misunderstood. Minority groups, especially with different values, are scary to those outside, because they are not understood. But the Hunakti can use fear 'Visage of Fear' as a genuine magical power. So surely the Humakti are scary because of their embodiment of death. An embodiment which exerts itself i disciples at all times, in others more so whenusing magic, but is always there like a shadow or a scent of previous contacts with death itself.

>If you want Humakti to be scary, I think its better to make them
scary for predominantly mundane reasons.

But Glorantha is a world were magic and the gods are real, so supernatural reasons are natural.

Human cultures too have often feared groups because of their relatiionship with death, look how spooky we consider graveyards, undertakers, hearses etc.

Humakti honor for the fallen is too entrenched a part of our understanding to move to a model of rutlessness as a general rule for their 'fear' factor.

There is probably elements of the source of their fearfulness in both positions, the death affinity, and their cutlural difference.

Ian Cooper