Re: Re Lightbringers Quest

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:16:35 +1300

Morgan Conrad wrote:
>Peter writes:

> >>Maybe the fact that Chaos was destroying the world?

> >And he found this out how? By Ernalda disappearing, perhaps?

>If the only way he noticed the Greater Darkness was by his wife
>disappearing, Orlanth is a self-centered moron. Are you saying that
>if the Greater Darkness had merely destroyed everything except
>Orlanth and Ernalda he would have done nothing?

No, I am not. I did not say it was the only way that he noticed that chaos was destroying the world, I said it was what _provoked_ him into taking responsibility for his mistakes. One can notice bad things happening without deciding to do anything about them without being a selfcentred  moron.

>And Storm Tribe (and related books), one of the sources you cite,
>states that he went on the quest to rescue Ernalda. And has all
>the "evil emperor" references. You have disproved nothing. In fact,
>there is shockingly little about the actual LBQ in there. Most of
>the material about he and Yelm actually making peace is from earlier
>material.

But I wasn't quoting from Storm Tribe, I was quoting from King of Sartar, which does have the myth of the Lightbringers quest (KoS p82-89). Orlanth did go to hell to make peace with the Emperor. The Orlanthi still call the Emperor evil because he obviously hasn't lived up to the peace that Orlanth made (by trying to conquer his people).

>Look, you (or presumably Greg, I don't want to pick on you)
>explicitly added this completely new Ernalda twist. And it really
>makes Orlanth look very bad.

I disagree.

>I'm
>complaining cause I used to admire Orlanth back in RQ2 days, and the
>new material removes most of the reasons for that admiration.

The RQ2 Orlanth says he went on the quest because he saw his father chained and suffering and his mother dead. How does this make Orlanth any less of a self-centred moron then when he notices Ernalda go missing?

--Peter Metcalfe