Re: Grackles

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:56:30 -0000

> I still wouldn't know what a grackle was.

    Looks a bit like a blackbird, although it isn't related to the European bird of that name
(http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/Photo/Images/h5110pi.jpg). They originally preferred open country, but many species now spend most of their time in city parks being noisy and irritating (http://birds.cornell.edu/BOW/COMGRA/comgra.wav). They tend to eat agricultural seeds a lot, which doesn't exactly make them popular with farmers. There are a number of species, of which the Mexican one (also found in Texas) is arguably the most obnoxious. They are technically songbirds, but I suspect they were among the birds punished by Vrimak for treachery in the Darkness, as per the myth in Anaxial's Roster.

Trotsky