RE: re: Avarnia Myth

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:47:43 +0100

On Saturday, October 13, 2001 5:46 PM, morganconrad_at_... [SMTP:morganconrad_at_...] wrote:
> Good writing, good start, worth a beer. Email me and we'll figure
> out how to get you one.

Thanks. As we're on different continents (I live in England), that could be a tricky issue. :)

> I have one big problem with the myth though - why does Avarnia
> survive at the end?

The children that she had warned of the approach of Hippoi saved her in their turn:

The quails warmed her with their bodies to heal her. The songbirds made her happy again with their songs. The birds of the Upper Air gave her their love to make her whole.

If she hadn't saved them, Hippoi would have killed them before she went away and Avarnia *would* have died. The good thing that she did turned out to save her in the end, in the same way as Eurmal's foolish deeds always rebound on him.

Regards,

Bruce