Telling stories in game

From: rexabean_at_...
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:03:10 +1000

G'day all,

On the very few times I have tried this I find that even a 2 paragraph myth (told by me the GM) feels flat.

Now of course my 2 year old loves my storytelling technique but I wonder if it doesn't work with adults because:

  1. I really am only 8 in Storytelling (and its just my daughter augments with her Relationship to Daddy to make it seem good to her).
  2. we are here for some beer and pretzels fun and want to create a story together, rather than sit around and listen to someone else's monologue.
  3. we are such a non-oral culture that we prefer written handouts we can refer to at our convenience and feel strange when someone just gives us an oral message to remember.

Any comments and idea's how to subvert whichever paradigm is the problem ?

Having played with John Hughes he certainly tends to the story teller style in his more serious adventures and whilst that is okay once in a while I might as well go to a play rather than roleplay with most storyteller GMs (IMHO). Although John is very good.

Cheers, Andrew

> John Hughes > Because in my Lagerwater campaign we did a lot of sitting round the
> lodge, we occassionally had players tell a myth during a game
> session. It worked well - no reading from books, but index card notes allowed.

Ian Cooper> I wanted to convey two things. First I saw as an opportunity to