Re: Re: Stories & Storytelling

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:41:22 -0700

Ian:

>I wanted to convey two things. First I saw as an opportunity to
>present background that might be relevant to forthcoming episodes 'in
>game', and I wanted to emphasize the Heortlings as an oral,
>storytelling culture.

One thing that worked for me - have your players take on 'the roles' of the gods as the story progresses. Braggi is telling the tale, but Danwyr loves trickster tales and embellishes almost everything that's said. Cradledaughter comments on what Orlanth says and does, and Bhorghil, the token Elmali in the lodge, gets to ask all the dumb questions.

Andrew has some telling comments on the challenges of storytelling.

>Having played with John Hughes he certainly tends to the story >teller style in his more serious adventures and whilst that is >okay once in a while I might as well go to a play rather than >roleplay with most storyteller GMs (IMHO).

Granted, in convention modules I try always for something different, but my home games are as beer and pretzelly as the next. :) (Okay, okay so I'm way out on the storyteller axis of the fourfold way). I think Kevin's comments are very aposite here - keep the stories short and simple. (and yes, hand out a printed copy when its over).

John