Re: sedentary priests

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:05:29 -0000

Gareth Martin
> How would we deal with the kind of priests who are so embedded in a
religious heirarchy that their duties centre around the fulfilling of ritual?

Remember ritual is a form of magic in itself, which allows community support and as a result can much more powerful than simple feats. The abilites used in Rituals themselves will vary from Worhsip XXXX Pantheon through Devotee of <XXXX> or related affinities (see Thunder rebels for some examples in the section on Divine Aid for examples).

The trick in making these guys interesting is give them interesting rituals to perform. Blessing the newly crowned king etc. will have real magical effects and be based on myth. For example you might base your coronation on THe Making of the Storm Tribe or The Crowning of Vingkot, or Alakoring's Rex rites with differeny magical results as a consequence. Which one do you choose?

On a related point in conversation after a game we speculated that when myths are acted out on the mundane plane (Rurik in CoP being the famous example) these may well be Rituals in HW terms, in which the magic of the other side is drawn to the mundane plane rather than vica-versa in a heroquest.

Ian Cooper