Re: Re: Telling stories in game

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:50:17 +0100

In article <9qgurq+ucf9_at_...>, Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...> writes

>> On the very few times I have tried this I find that even a 2
>paragraph myth (told by me the GM) feels flat.
>
>I have the same problem. In our group, if you try telling a story (or
>even having a conversation in first person), one will listen, two
>will interrupt out of character, and the rest will discuss last
>night's TV until you get back to the 'real' game. Personally, I think
>the problem is they want to be DOING, not spectating, but at the same
>time they lack the confidence (or possibly skills) to actually join
>in, in the storytelling manner, so they revert to what they CAN do -
>old-fashioned third-person roleplaying.
>
>And let's face it, is that wrong? It's a game, not an educational
>exercise, it's meant to be fun, not challenging.

Indeed - it's the GM's job to fit their game to their players. I may tell tales as a separate hobby, but I rarely do so within a role-playing context because it's often not what my players are after (though the skills from one improve the other in less obvious ways). On the other hand, it's also the GM's job to try new things from time to time, to see if they work - and a little storytelling may be fun for all concerned.

"job" isn't quite right but I'm sure you know what I mean.

--
Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_...