Re: Breaking hospitality and the Greeting

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:20:25 -0000

> TR tells that when Orlanthi perfrom the Greeting it is a binding
> magical ritual. The host learns the truth of the the stranger's
> answers during the ritual.
>
> First question: Can you equivocate? I'd have said yes, just because
> it makes for more interesting stories, but that relies on an
> interpretation that says the letter of what is said is verified not
> the intent.

I'd say you could resist it like any other magic. Trouble is, are you resisting the host (acceptable difficulty) or Orlanth (a bit difficult...). I already decided it WAS possible for a Vivamort worshipper using Resist Theist Magic to 'trick' his way past Agents of Retribution and the like, I'd say this was similar.

> Second Question: I am assuming this is Divine Wrath. So dDoes this
> fall on non-Orlanthi who make the Greeting or is that a 'caveat
> emptor' situation?

I can't see how Orlanth could punish a non-Orlanthi without recourse to lightning bolts...

> Third question: Can the guest create a situation that breaks the
> ritual orforces the host to break the ritual so that he or she can
> act (i.e. commit an act of violence) without fear of Divine Wrath.

Yes, I'd say so. Say the visitor brought news of the host's acts of treason being discovered. Said host might not be too pleased at the tale told, despite the visitor's honesty and non-violence. Doing so deliberately to provoke the attack (and allow a fight) might be against the spirit of the greeting.

Wulf