Breaking hospitality and the Greeting

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:02:36 -0000

I'm working on an idea for an episode for our house campaign and thought I might trawl for your ideas on a topic.

TR tells that when Orlanthi perfrom the Greeting it is a binding magical ritual. The host learns the truth of the the stranger's answers during the ritual.

First question: Can you equivocate? I'd have said yes, just because it makes for more interesting stories, but that relies on an interpretation that says the letter of what is said is verified not the intent.

and once hospitality has been offered and accepted it is binding. Those who break it suffer Orlanth's wrath.

Second Question: I am assuming this is Divine Wrath. So dDoes this fall on non-Orlanthi who make the Greeting or is that a 'caveat emptor' situation?

Third question: Can the guest create a situation that breaks the ritual orforces the host to break the ritual so that he or she can act (i.e. commit an act of violence) without fear of Divine Wrath.

Obviously I am being a bit circumspect to avoid giving too much away to my plaers who are on this list, but you should think stories like The Champion's Portion for the kind of feel I am going for.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ian Cooper