RE: Hiding Evil in plain sight

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:45:59 -0400

Peter said :

>CACODEMON: umm. got me here. I've never been all that happy
>about the disparity between the worship of Cacodemon in all its
>grotesque glory and the nature of the Ogres to conceal themselves
>and make more Ogres. In any case, their primary means of
>concealment is magical and they can always do the strange god
>schtick.

You can hide amazing things in rural areas. The RCMP recently busted a pot growing operation here in Manitoba which consisted of seven freight cars buried underground.

If you take a Lovecraftian/isolated weirdos approach (Who, the Red Rocks? Sure they're standoffish but they always pay their tribute and send men to the fyrd. They have their own shrines so they rarely come down here but they're always keen on inviting wanderers in for supper so we always send unexpected travelers up to them...) they can work well. Their stead is fairly normal on the surface but horrors lurk underground and way back in the hills out of sight and sound is a den of horrors!

The other approach can be the rakish traveling stranger who's all too available to help clan women relieve themselves of some of their tension. What a nice guy! And he always comes back to do right by the woman and take the brat off her hands.

Oliver