Re: Invisible God

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:09:37 EST

In a message dated 31/10/01 19:35:31 GMT Standard Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< > All you've done so far is to show out that you don't think
> Western farmers can be heroic. But knights or sorcerers
> are "hard to start off"?

 My apologies, I made the obviously incorrect assumption that when playing in most of the west you'd be required to start as farmers and work your way up. Narrators have the freedom to define their setting how they want, so of course could have the heroes start off as knights or sorcerers.>>

     You're thinking of Loskalm; in most other Western nations the majority of people are born into whatever class their father belongs to. Thus, you could start off as a noble if you wanted to. Even in Loskalm, the present draft of SK allows you to start off as a soldier (and, even if it isn't changed, you can always ignore that rule if you like).

<< I hadn't realised that there was a formal theory of maximum game fun-- in fact I'd been under the impression that it was whatever created the most fun for the people playing the game.

 However, even with your definition, I would tend to stand by what I said: given a choice between being able to mix magic with combat, social, and other skills freely, or having a fairly clean separation of magic from most of the other parts of life, I find the former to be more fun.>>

     You can in fact do this in the West - especially in Loskalm, where being both a sorcerer and a knight is something to aspire to. Even if most people there don't get direct access to magic (which is debatable), you can be sure that most player heroes will...

Trotsky