Re: Invisible God

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:07:14 EDT

Morgan Conrad:

<< O.K., sure the Invisible God is "different" or "mysterious", >>

     That's what makes Him Invisible...

<< If you can't obtain the measurement, you don't know it, and you have  no factual basis for saying that IG knows it. >>

     Oh, but you do know it. You can get blessings from the saints. You can enter into communion with God during worship ceremonies. You can frag the theists with your superior sorcery spells. And so on.

<< I've always had this question about Glorantha. "Gee, I can worship Orlanth and get Lightning Bolt to satisfy my power-mad side, >>

     Worshippers of the Invisible God get curses to send against their enemies, and blessings to help their crops grow, etc. All right there in the Abiding Book, plus you get access to an eternal afterlife of bliss, not some wandering about in the Otherworld waiting to be resurrected.

<>

     The Invisible God is, of course, but Invisible, but it only stands to reason that he exists - it can be proved through pure logic. And you can still Heroquest on the Adept and Saint planes, and talk to famous saints and so forth. You can know *they* exist from personal experience, and they all give you blessings and stuff, and if you're in any doubt that God exists, they can assure that he does. And why would they lie to you? They're benevolent, help you out, and don't even ask you to sacrifice stuff to them, or to worship them personally like the pagan gods do. Pagan gods stand to gain from lying to you about their divinity (sure, sacrifice your best cattle to me, and I'll give you a lightning bolt); Saints don't have anything to gain from lying to you about somebody else's...

<<and, as a free bonus, I know that my Priest is not really an Ogre. >>

     Really now, if your liturgist were an Ogre, would God and the saints let him use all those nifty blessings to help you?

Forward the Golden Banner of Flame!
Trotsky