Re: Honeyhearthings

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:27:20 -0000

Great stuff as usual Bryan. I like the whole pricniple of giving them a identity around their bees, gives the players and narrators some good hooks into the culture.

Some thoughts:

Might not the local matriachy have 'bee' influences. How about the queen, the bloodline matriach having a polagymous relationship with a number of drones/husband-protectors. Perhaps there are competitions to become a drone and perhaps, in the sacrificial king tradition of Esrolia, the clan knows of rites to sacrifice these drones to renew the hives in hard times. Of course the rites may not have been needed for years, until...

Considering the relationship of Trolls to insects perhaps we have an Argan Argar/Old Earth clan, and every dark season the honey tribute is paid to the trolls of the shadow plateau. Having Argan Argar as the men's main god instead of Orlanth makes these people a little different from run-of-the-mill Heortlings.

Dancing rituals may be important to the clan too, heroes might be able to learn useful rituals to take back to their clan to increase the local hives, perhaps they are sent by the king's brewer...

Ian Cooper