re: Uses of magic, roads

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:49:51 -0000

>If the roads are holding the nation together, both materially and
>magically, then the magic expenditure might be considered investment.

Well, nothing is holding Sartar together right now, is it? :-)

And, if it were, I don't think it would be the roads, though perhaps I'm missing something here? When I think Sartar, I don't think of autobahns and how Heortlings all really worhip roads. No, hatred of Lunars, clan ties, desire for freedom and worship of Orlanth are far more important and worthy of magic expenditure than maintaining roads. Especially since it seems like the roads mainly benefit the Lunar oppressors, right? If anything, the Earthshakers would be using their magics to destroy the roads and harass Lunar columns (and taxcollectors!).

In some ways, MP are the most valuable "taxes" you collect from Sartar. Think of the fun debates on their use. "Our seniors need health care". "No, let the people keep more of their MP for their own use". IMO, road maintenance would rank very low on the list.