Re: Uses of magic, roads

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:04:44 -0000

Those are what give it a common culture, but what gives it its identity as a nation? Maybe roads seem silly, but the first big project the government of Canada undertook once we became a country was to build a railroad across the nation (this was no trivial task, btw....)

>From what I understand of the geography of Sartar, only the hardy
travel far except on a road. The land is rugged and heavily wooded. What tracks there are are deep in mud a good part of the year, and buried under snow for another good portion, not to mention winding around swamps, clambering steeply over hills, etc.

Since the roads were built, every Sartarite knows that if they wanted to, they could walk to Boldhome, or go to the LM temple in Jonstown, etc. Most may never do it, but the roads open up "the world" (at least the parts they care about) to easy travel.

Some people might prefer that nobody could travel easily, because they don't like outsiders or new ideas. Others may be somewhat indifferent "what does it have to do with the price of cheese?" Quite a few will have an emotional attachment to the roads even if they don't leave home themselves. And there will be some who can't imagine how awful life would be without them (or they can, and care for them even more). These latter are the kind who probably still keep 88 day.

Or, to be more brief: the roads give freedom of movement. I'd think the Orlanthi would value that quite highly.

--Bryan
Especially since it seems like the roads mainly benefit the