Re: seven mothers

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:53:38 -0000

Gareth:

>So why does anyone convert to the Lunar way, then? I mean if
you can continue to worship your own gods, without let or hindrance from Lunar authorities, then surely the whole idea of "being a Lunar" falls by the wayside; you get a Lunar state taking taxes instead of the old state, but for most people this is a rather nominal change.

Because the Moon is often subtler than that. Conflict is reserved for options where the Lunar Way cannot be married into the locals own religion. IMO, the Ernalda cult in Lunar Tarsh is a good example.

"Sure, you can continue to worship Ernalda. After all Ernalda was 'She Who Waits' of the Seven Mothers. She was directly involved in the quest to birth the Moon. You want to know more about the Moon? Sure, we can teach you some of Sedenya's simpler secrets. The most important one to learn now is that 'We are all us'. Hey, rather than Esra, have you ever thought about worshipping the Maize mother instead. Maize is great..."

The Provincial Church brings their religion by steps. The first step is to accept the Lunar aspects of our current beliefs. The second is to follow a Lunar replacement for your current beliefs (e.g. Etyries for Issaries). The third is too worship the Moon herself. Many never make it beyond the first step. But tht is OK. They have heard the word of the goddess.

Ian Cooper