Re: seven mothers

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:54:53 -0000

Tx again...

> There are many ways of currying favour with the locals
> other than being neutral. Since the Lunar Missionaries
> preach the goodness of the Empire is good and act as a arm
> of the Provinical Government, to adopt a position of
> neutrality vis-a-vis the Empire would be somewhat
> counterproductive.

Well, I was thinking of the way Christian missionaries operated; even those with quite explicit sympathies for the British Empire, say, might still preach about peace for all men including the heathen; this puts them in nominal conflict with the state on an incident to incident basis, even if they think that the world would be a beetr place if everyone converted. But if the 7M is a deliberate an overt tool of the imperial structure, then why would any non-Lunar tolerate their presence - they advertise the fact that they're only here to bring you under the Empire's heel and are a direct tool of the state.

> The Lunars do not have a policy of destroying temples. They are
> hostile to Orlanth but his worshippers do not rely upon temples
> and idols to worship him.

Hmm. So why does anyone convert to the Lunar way, then? I mean if you can continue to worship your own gods, without let or hindrance from Lunar authorities, then surely the whole idea of "being a Lunar" falls by the wayside; you get a Lunar state taking taxes instead of the old state, but for most people this is a rather nominal change.