Re: Tricksters and chaos

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:44:14 -0800

> > Seriously: the only certain thing about Tricksters is that they break
the
> > rules. So yes they are impervious to chaos. Except when they aren't.
> >
> > Once chaotic a trickster might recover sponyaneously, mutate new chaos
> > features and so forth.
>
> This might become too philosophical for the HW list, but I'll keep it
> here for now.
>
> A Trickster does not have the 'protection' of a normal clansman.
> 'Protection' has legal, social and magical (considering the clan to
> be part of the Storm Tribe) aspects. Part of that protection is
> protection from chaos, in the sense of having a place to live away
> from chaos, people to protect you from chaos, role models that oppose
> chaos and magic protection from Orlanth etc.

Ah, but he *does* have special protection by Orlanth/Clan Chief himself. See "The Trickster Bond", Storm Tribe 67.

While he may be a hated, feared or reviled part of the clan, he is still "our trickster". He still has a place in the Storm Tribe (assuming he is properly bonded, or has been through the Mold & Mold ritual), and so has the normal societal protections against chaos.

Being Trickster means playing with the glass cylinder of glowing green gook that says "DANGER", but also that nothing is certain. If it breaks and he swallows some, he might or might not be infected with chaos, but that is due to the nature of Trickster. So you *might* say that he has a 50% protection against chaos: Either he'll become infected, or he won't. (But he should *always* gain a reminder of the experience, and it should be silly/stupid/wierd, like Marty Feldman eyes, or voluptuous breasts (on a male trickster), or his skin turns pink-with-yellow polkadots like Mr. Blobby, or his shadow makes dirty gestures.)

Roderick

Roderick