Re: Re: seven mothers

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:52:34 -0500

Dougie wrote:

> >What does the Empire care about the basic Heortling social unit? In
> Dara
> Happa
> >everybody is responsible for his own deeds...
>
> hmm, but when it comes to taxes, no individual Heortling actually owns
> much
> more than his weapons and the clothes he stands in, the rest is
> communal to
> his bloodline and the clan...

Actually, you can have a fair bit of personal property, particularly if you're a fairly successful hero. Only part of what you get is turned over to the chief and part of what's left to the family.

> well, they would only do this a communal bloodline decision. An
> ndividual - doesn't just frag off all his friends, family and
> ancestors in
> Heortling society and up sticks to live with a bunch of strangers.

Ah, not quite. I am sure that many a disenfranchised cottar or bitter carl has left their clan and tried to find a new home. Or taken their immediate family with them.

> A lunar sympathisers is much more likely show his support by speaking
> up
> amounst the clan for co-operation with, and tolerance of, the new way,
> whilst pointing out the benefits such co-operation could bring the
> whole

Until either the clan comes aroudn to his way of thinking OR he's made very unwelcome - at which point, leaving might be an option.

Remember, the folks most likely to leave are the have-not's - the ones who don't speak up at the moots and the ones who are not listened to. The ones that always get left out when the lands and odal property are apportioned.

To them, the Lunar Way could hold considerable appeal, espeically as there's some perfectly good clans out there that seem to be doing VERY well... and the Lunars are _inclusive_ in their philosophy.

These are just the folks the Lunars would target with their missionaries.

> Sorry Wesley, I just don't think anyone would or could act
> independantly of
> the rest of the community in Heortling society - that would leave you
> in
> pretty much the same state as outlawry (even with Lunar protection)
> and just
> joining a pro Lunar tribe isn't going to happen (they are still
> basicaly
> Heortlings and why should they welcome some stranger who has just
> dumped all
> over his own clan?) Instead, you convince the rest of your community
> to join
> you...

I think that the Heortlings aren't QUITE as monolithic in their adherence to community as this (you make them sound like the Borg). And taking in strangers IS something that Orlanthi do. Just ask Quivin, the first Stranger to join the Storm Tribe.

Jeff