Re: Re: seven mothers

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:00:51 -0500

morganconrad wrote:

> David Boatright has written about Lunars
>
> (many posts ago on this thread)
>
> "Yes. The Lunars' don't give a toss about bringing people to the true
> faith. The Lunars are there simply to exploit the people and the
> land."
>
> and, recently,
>
> "clans that have sympathies for the Lunars ... are used to climbing
> into bed with something with a big tentacle"
>
> It's good for Glorantha to see people so deeply emotionally attached
> to the Sartar "freedom fighters", but these statements have
> no "objective" truth ("objective" in quotes cause I'm not sure you
> can be truly objective about an imaginary world!). I'd imagine that
> only the most radical Sartarites see the world in such extreme good
> vs. evil terms.

I'm still not convinced that Sartarites have a lot invested emotionally in the concept of 'Sartar' as it is. The tribe seems to be about the level where things stop in Heortling society. When folks start talking about a High King or a Prince (first among equals) it often means that the next level down is more important. Nationalism is a modern peculiarity that doesn't seem to have as much a place among the Quivini - but my view of them might be a bit too feudal (in the middle ages, no one in Burgundy or Normandy thought of themselves as French, frex...).

I don't see them having the same sort of cultural baggage as, say, Rome where the _concept_ of being Roman was so important to the functioning of the Empire. Orlanthi don't seem to operate that way (but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise).

Mabye this is because of the suppression of Sartar's cult and might change after Kallyr Relights the Flame (love those capital letters) - but as it stands, there _is_ no Kingdom of Sartar

Jeff