Re: Atrox Church

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:41:20 -0500

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> At 04:14 28/01/02 +0900, you wrote:
> >Recently, in HeroWars-jp_at_... had an interesting discussion
> about
> >Sir Ethilrist and his mercenary Black Horse troops.
> >
> >a) What was the origin of their Farmer Caste? Vendref or Grazer?
>
> Camp followers that travelled with Sir Ethilrist upon his
> journeys.

Those are dedicated camp followers. I think they may be natives (Vendref or natives from those hills) forcibly converted which seems somehow likely as the Atroxi probably would be happy to share their particularly miserable version of Malkionism.

> An interesting insight. There's a number of possible solutions:
>
> 1) Arkat was a scribe's error for Atrox.
>
> 2) Arkat is not worshipped but is a figure of excoriation and
> the locals worship him by throwing stones at his image.

I like this idea. It seems somehow fitting.

> >c) Can I say Black Horse Troops are bad guys as Kingdom of War or
> Kingdom
> >of Ignorance?
>
> If you want to portray them as villains in your campaign then there's
> no problem. Since they can also be used as heroes, they are not quite
> in the same category as the Kingdom of War (and there are good people
> in Ignorance).
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

I always felt they were more neutral - they really don't leave their lands unless provoked. For what its worth, I sort of view them as a Gloranthan version of 'The Black Company' from Glen Cook's books - especially once they got themselves back up to full strength (several thousand men).

In my opinion, they are no more evil than the tide and just as pitiless.

Jeff