Re: Not having a Wyter

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:08:54 -0500

Nick Eden wrote:

> Obviously they don't have a Wyter, since that's a specifically
> Heortling (or at least Orlanthi) concept as far as I can see. Actually
> even if it wasn't, I can't see them bargaining with spirits, so a
> wyter wouldn't make sense.

Very nice concept. But you're right they wouldn't bargain with spirits. But with a lunar/celestial daimone, I'd buy.

> I believe that a Vexilla serves more or less the same function, being
> the protective spirit bound into a unit's standard (Eagle of the Ninth
> homages here we come), but the army's hardly going to give them away.

Maybe not. But I think that, in the case of 'Veteran Colononia' - I think that they would probably have something like a 'milita guardian' for their local group. Especially if they _are_ a sponsored colony of veterans. If they were the equivalent of an Auxillary unit, they might have been able to take their standard with them - or be provided with something. Afterall, such valuable citizens should't be squandered. Especially as they could be called up should there be a crisis in the new Province.

> Any other kind of guardian spirit they might have? How much of a
> disadvantage would not having one be?

They would be dead without one. Even a weak community spirit provides protection Otherworld threats - it can brush aside spirits and sendings that would overcome most of its mundane 'worshippers.'

Jeff