Re: Re: Deva?

From: Jonas Schiott <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:18:52 +0100

Mikko:

> I've been looking at old norse words for god and spirit, but old norse
> dictionaries aren't that easy to find.

I think nature spirits (and just about all spirits in old norse lore are nature spirits) were usually called alfr or vettr - AFAICT these terms are used interchangeably. But there are already elves in Glorantha, so that leaves the vettr (or landvettr). Then we have the disr, protectors of a family (probably bloodline in orlanthi terms) that are always female.

It's not entirely clear from the myths, but presumably divine beings of lesser stature than the named gods were also thought to exist - in which case they would probably have been called aesr, plain and simple.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg