Sartar Rising

From: bredmond02 <bredmond02_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:15:48 -0000

Hi there,

As a new list member I apologise in advance if some of my questions have already been dealt with in recent times.

With that in mind, I was hoping someone could clarify the situation as regards the content of the Sartar Rising books. I have had Barbarian Adventures for over a week now and must say that although I am delighted with the new format and much else, I remain very frustrated over what *isn't* in the book:

  1. Should BA not have included a guide to Sartar of some sort, either a stand alone description of places or one contained within scenarios? Sartar is pretty large, with a lot of interesting geography, magical and otherwise. Perhaps the second book deal with this?
  2. Maps. Is there any chance of seeing at least a detailed Narrator's map? Perhaps with a `blank' or general one for players.
  3. Was there not supposed to be a clan generator of sorts? I know there is one on the Issaries website but it would have been nice to have a written or updated version.

When the info provided by Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe is added to Barbarian Adventures, we get a pretty rounded and enjoyable package. However, it all still has one very serious flaw - a lack of detailed, campaign style scenarios. IMO the reason RQ2 took off was because of the early box sets, and books like Griffin Mountain, provided massive detail *within* the scenarios themselves. I presumed we were going to get the same thing in Sartar Rising, and perhaps we still will. Given the low page count of these releases however, and the lack of a third book I am not so sure.

I hope this criticism isn't too harsh. However, our group have been adventuring in Pavis more or less since HW was launched (thanks to the Tradetalk./Tentacles material). We had always presumed that the release of BA would be the signal to finally `head home' to adventure in Sartar, something we never quite could with RuneQuest. Now I'm not so sure.

Barry