Re: Sartar Rising

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:52:39 -0000

I got mine yesterday...

> and must say that although I
> am delighted with the new format and much else, I remain very
> frustrated over what *isn't* in the book:
>
> 1. Should BA not have included a guide to Sartar of some sort,
> either a stand alone description of places or one contained within
> scenarios?

Some sort of "Sartar Gazeteer" might be useful, I'd agree

> 2. Maps. Is there any chance of seeing at least a detailed
> Narrator's map? Perhaps with a `blank' or general one for players.

I'm not completly sold on this - I think there is a certain amount of "fluidity" amongst the clans and tribes - particularly with the Hero Wars upon us, so, at least as far as a "political" map goes, we may be better off without getting too detailed. On the other hand, I would like to see one (or more...) sample maps of "A typical village" or "a typical tula". One can handwave the big stuff more easily ("Oh three days travel in that direction, across the river by the foot of the mountain") - the devil is in the details...

> 3. Was there not supposed to be a clan generator of sorts? I know
> there is one on the Issaries website but it would have been nice to
> have a written or updated version.

As I understand it this has been pushed back (again!) into "Orlanth is Dead"

> However, it all still has one very serious flaw - a lack of
> detailed, campaign style scenarios. IMO the reason RQ2 took off was
> because of the early box sets, and books like Griffin Mountain,
> provided massive detail *within* the scenarios themselves.

Yes, a product like "Borderlands" or "Dorastor Land of Doom" which give you a framework campaign are very useful both for experienced GM's looking for something to hang their own ideas from and new GM's looking for guidance of what to do now they have got people to generate characters...