Re: Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:00:12 +0000

> > There was certainly nowhere near the cultural information made
> > available by Storm Tribe or Thunder Rebels for these supplements.
>
>But how much cultural information IS there really?

Thunder Rebels gives us their law codes, the layout of a typical village, their social structures, their farming and craft techniques, the basis of their spiritual life (expanded on greatly by Storm Tribe), their economic system, their views on outsiders, their rituals for greeting, their rules for adopting new members into society, and on and on.

How much do you want?

I honestly can think of few other game supplements that provided as much coverage of a society as Thunder Rebels does. Many of those I can think of were partly written by Greg anyway.

As for Barbarian Adventures, it is in many ways not an exciting book. Two years ago we were all looking forward to a Sartar Rising with Dragons devouring Lunar high-ups. We're still waiting. But BA is meant to be the 'simple adventures to start a campaign with' that many people have been complaining about not having. Sure I could have come up with stuff similar to what's in the book, but that takes time and thought on my part. Havving the ability to drop in a cameo from the book when I don't have time to think of anything else is very helpful.

BA is definately the sort of book that is going to prove more useful in game than fun to read. But that is kinda the whole point...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson