Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:07:49 -0000

Gareth wrote:
>Sure, sure, but we've heard this sort of handwaving before. Perhaps
it might be a reasonable idea to lay out this timeline in some accessible form so that its visible to everyone;< Well there is timeline information in BA, in the `What My Grandfather Told me section' and in the Tribes information. Agreed, the history is not as detailed as in KoS, but do we want too much repeated information.

Gareth wrote:
>But hang on, this is from the same publisher that says they don't
want to give us accurate maps because they don't want to threaten our artistic freedom! <
I do not think that they have ever said this. Can you provide me with the evidence?

Gareth:
>NARRATOR characters, not necessarily pregenerated NPC's. I quite
like some NPC's from the game authors, but frex L5R suffered from having far, far too many at the expense of actually useful information.<
IMO, this is not the case here. Despite the indications you may have got from the review there are, IMHO, not too many.

Gareth:
> I might be wrong there, but I do have to wonder why people who buy
RPG's want the RPG not to contain any information.< You've obviously not witnessed any of Ryan Dancey's 3rd Ed Rules and Tools only rants =)

Gareth:
>Surely, the people who are interested in purchasing continuing
products in which cultures are described are doing so because they WANT the experience of discovery of Glorantha - not creation, discovery.<
Well I want both. I want the space to create my own material with Greg's Gloranthan framework, and I am a consumer too. Mileages definitely vary here. I do not think that either you or I are wrong, just a difference of opinion. Some poor soul at Issaries has to try and please us both.

Gareth:
>If HW to date had concentrated totally on Heortlings and not made
much of the Lunar presence, this might have been a legitimate excuse (although I would still be unhappy) but given the high profile of the Heortling-Lunar conflict - Lunar keywords given in HW - thats pretty much blown out of the water.<
The Lunar presence creates the need for a more detailed map? I'm not sure I follow this argument. I too would love to see a map. I am justing pointing out that it does not stop play.

>Let me put it like this: I have not yet bought BA and on the
basis of criticism so far I will not.<
There is another review at rpg.net. Feel free to come down to Finchley and have a look at my copy, or ask Bruce to see his next time you see him, before you make a decision.

>The avoidance of material culture - population distribution, proper
mapping, mechanisms of production, common sets of tools - have been touched upon but probably less deeply than in almost any other RPG I possess<
I don't know how great the demand for information on mechanisms of production and tools beyond the coverage in TR would be. I would go to analog cultures here if this is the sort of information you desire. I am not sure that there is a huge demand to know what a farmer's common tools are. Which RPGs do you suggest have this level of detail? Any particular supplements you think handle this better.

Ian Cooper