Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:50:58 -0500

Good comments by Tom:

elysia69 wrote:

> Just bought it! The quality of this is very high. A good 70% is
> immediately useful and I was impressed with the character stats
> layout. I thought the two pages spent on tribal rings could have been
> left out in favour of the clan questionairre and perhaps a few tables
> generating how many steads, what shrines you have, how many cows, etc.

Some of that info is in Thunder Rebels under 'what's in my stead' section. But I agree, the Questionaire would have been good in this release. Hopefully, we'll see "Orlanth Is Dead" soon and it will be there.

Its my understanding that shrines are pretty much dependant on what your clan does for a living... which, I admit, brings us back to the Questionaire.

> Quite a few questions were answered by this product. I was amazed
> that priests charged for rituals and the basic currency was the
> chicken!. It also posed other questions...

Well, kinda, yeah. I think that its an eggcellent form of currency.

> 1) Towns were mentioned a few times. Are they..
>
> a) Big steads that got bigger?

The 'clan village' is usually around the Chieftain's stead - he controls the clan smith and a lot of the specialty crafters. Its only logical that these folks live near him.

> b) Some sort of fort that, say, protected a crossroads that attracted
> a settlement?
>
> c) A small city?

Yes. Though c) might be a final evolutionary state. Some may also be a traditional Holy site which has grown an ancillary settlment. Many of the Heortling settlements are based on old Pre-Dragonkill ring-forts which have been reclaimed and refurbished.

> d) None of the above.
>
> 2) I'm assuming that if there are towns similar to ones we know then
> you will be living amongst those who aren't kin. Who is your boss?
>
> 3) Is the creation of a town a need to concentrate resources on
> manufacture in a certain place?

Its possible, particularly if there is a specialty good that's not produced elsewhere. Everyone can make pots but making good armour in mass quantity takes a lot of effort and these folks need to be supported - at best it would appear at the tribal or confereration level.

> 4) If No 3 is correct do you look to your guild here?

Possibly. If its a guild oriented sort of society. I'd expect it Heortland and Tarsh but maybe not so much in Sartar.

> 5) Temples seem to be a second tier of authority seperate from
> kinship. Are towns one of those road side temple complexes mentioned
> in a post a couple of weeks ago?

Some are. Some temples seem to live in splendid isolation (I wouldn't want to live next to a Humakti temple) but many, such as the powerful Ernalda temple at Clearwine, cearly draw folks to them. But some temples are just so obscure or rare that only one is found in an entire tribe or city-ring (confederation).

The collected sages of Sartar got together to build the Jonstown Library, which is very close to being unique. Its a high-cost operation, I think. Hospitals to Chalana Arroy would probably fall into this category too.

> 6) With hero and religious bands wandering willy-nilly over the land
> do you get seasonal worker's bands?
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

Orlanthi okies? Hmmm! That's a neat idea. They'd be like ronin (wave men) except they'd be Wind-Men. I think they'd not be viewed very well but with the sheer amount of bad stuff happening in Sartar, there are a lot of refugees, wanderers and folks looking for a home. Its possible that these would work as seasonal labourers and then be asked to move on as soon as they were no longer needed. That might even make a neat premise for a campaign or story arc! Thanks!

Jeff