Stead Project

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:55:15 -0800

Tim:

> A sample clan - a "worked example" using the Clan generator with NPC's
> to fill the Clan Ring. Ideally this could be used by a GM who didn't
> want to generate the PC's Clan from scratch, or as the "Rival Clan"
> for his own / his players creation.
> A map of the Tula - Really just to give some idea of how much land a
> clan controls in a representative format, and how many buildings/where
> abouts they are - It should not be "tied down" to a particular
> location, but should give an indication of what is beyond its
> boundaries (so "Road to Town, 2-3 days walk" rather than "Wilmskirk
> 27.5 miles", - whether boundaries are shared or front on to wilderness...

The above, being generic, would make an excellent list project. I have been doing something similar with Lagerwater - my Far Place campaign base.

First we set up a few web templates. We then describe two or three typical steads - say a small bloodline stead that might belong to a hero band, a larger agricultural chief's stead, and a wilderness hunting/ herding fortress stead such as you find in the Far Place. We pick typical worship patterns and ring compositions, then name people - starting with the key ring members and thanes. Name, age, bloodline and cult would be enough info initially, from my experience, but the characters are all capable of stats and story expansion.

Similarly for the stead - we start with a rough area map, then people detail buildings and eventually landmarks and their associated stories. Eventually we do up a map, such as I did for the Voroni steads (only better - I've learned a lot since then). See
http://www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha/middle/maps/maps.html)

The beauty of doing it via web pages is that individuals could take small 'packets' - a single character say, and expand the resource by increments.

If people are interested in this, I'd be happy to host the pages and attend to the updates. Later we might try some javascript to allow personal campaign clan names and random names for unique lists. I'll also try and put up some basic Lagerwater stead info on Questlines by way of example. Any takers?

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Religions are poems. They concert
our daylight and dreaming mind, our
emotions, instinct, breath and native gesture

into the only whole thinking: poetry.
Nothing's said till it's dreamed out in words, and nothing's true that figures in words only.

Les Murray, Poetry and Religion.