Re: [ClosedHeroQuest] Digest Number 274

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_BC6NqV4e6OMQJGyss042t3ivRv3G1AH7mB49Ol4cJj_OUINga7iWV6yGXasvFVOV1NWI1>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:17:08 -0700

> In particular, Roderick seems particularly annoyed that Arwen
> got to, you know, do anything at all before turning up and marrying
> Aragorn at the end.

I would have been annoyed at any character that rose from obscurity to become a major focus of the film. Had Lotho Sackville-Baggins replaced Merry I would have complained. Had Glorfindal showed up to save the day at Helm's Deep I would have been offended. The problem with Arwen is was that A) They used a crappy actress, imo. B) They touted her far more than necessary. C) They thought she was necessary "for women in the audience to associate with".

And what did she get to do? Besides replacing Glory at the Fords, she got to: pout, cry, snog Aragorn, spout a couple elvish lines (which Liv still claims as "having learned Elvish for the role"), have a prophetic dream about being a widow, have a hissy fit, get married. Oh, wow, I am, like, *SO* impressed. She added *SO* much to the movie. Feh.

> >I think the EEs are superb -- flawed, but superb -- and I certainly
> >won't judge RotK until I see the "real" version.

I wish we had seen the "Real" version instead of wasting our money on inferior previews.

I won't go into my rant on Producers and their views on what "The Public" will or won't understand.

RR
- Richelieu